DAVID J. BENNETT
707.321.4915 | email@example.com
Solution-oriented leader with eight years of experience developing strategic and innovative environmental initiatives with Fortune 500 companies, startups and NGO’s. Expertise in creating value through sustainable business management practices with a distinct ability to present persuasive analyses to executive-level audiences and public stakeholders. Analytical and systems thinker with a unique combination of exceptional communication skills and technical expertise in project management, research and analysis.
Presidio Graduate School | January 2010 – Present
Graduate Teaching Assistant and Lecturer | San Francisco, CA
- Support the design, implementation and instruction of a graduate MBA course that imparts the foundations of sustainable business management practices and the emerging, strategic trends in product innovation and operations.
TriplePundit.com | Summer 2009 – Present
Sustainable Business Management Writer | San Francisco, CA
- Research and provide online written coverage of emerging sustainability trends and best practices across multiple industries for 100,000+ domestic and international readers.
Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) | Summer 2010
Corporate Partnerships Intern | Boston, MA
- Collaborated with Sustainability Managers at GE, Intel, AT&T and Coca-Cola to design a recommended strategy for EDF to partner with Fortune 500 companies to initiate water conservation and water risk management programs.
- Researched and identified the capital market barriers to investment in commercial energy efficiency and presented the business case for how third-party financing can facilitate growth in this sector.
Hara Software | Spring 2010
Marketing and Strategy Consultant | San Francisco, CA
- Created a marketing plan to increase the company’s market share through developing strategic partnerships with climate registries, trade associations and NGO’s.
- Crafted a strategic management plan to integrate alternative financing data into the firm’s industry-leading Environmental and Energy Management software.
Nestlé Purina | Fall 2009
Operations & Production Planning Consultant | San Francisco, CA
- Collaborated with the Directors of Sustainability at Nestlé and PetSmart to lead a 5-person team in the development of a lifecycle assessment, financial analysis and demand forecast for a national program to recycle post-consumer product packaging.
City Of Berkeley, Office Of Energy & Sustainable Development | Summer 2009
Climate Change Action Plan Intern | Berkeley, CA
- Developed a set of key performance indicators to measure and monitor the performance of transportation initiatives within the City’s Climate Action Plan.
- Integrated data and associated metrics into an online community portal as a strategy to communicate the City’s GHG emissions reduction efforts to the local community.
Fenix International | Summer 2009
Sustainability Consultant Fellowship | San Francisco, CA
- Delivered strategic guidance for the company’s efforts to certify and sell carbon credits based on the company’s fuel displacement technology.
- Executed a cradle-to-grave life cycle assessment of the company’s lead product offering.
Safari Books Online (O’Reilly Media) | 2006 – 2009
Interactive Marketing Manager & Marketing Contractor | Sebastopol, CA
- Provided strategic management to working groups of distinct corporate partners, bringing them together as partners in shared revenue generating initiatives across multiple e-commerce platforms.
- Worked collaboratively alongside the executive team to provide research and analysis of customer data to inform B2B and B2C sales and marketing strategies.
- Developed key performance indicators and associated metrics to monitor, assess and optimize the company’s marketing and sales strategies.
- Delivered ROI analyses of marketing campaigns and successfully negotiated final contracts for interactive marketing strategies with industry-leading media outlets, publishers and authors.
- Implemented start-to-finish aspects of online marketing strategies including website advertising, email marketing, SEM and SEO. Crafted strategic plans for customer referral programs and social media programs.
The Center for Social & Environmental Stewardship | 2000 – 2006
Conservation GIS Program Coordinator | Windsor, CA
- Provided stakeholder management of federal, state, county and local agencies to identify and implement conservation strategies to support salmon habitat restoration initiatives. Provided technical trainings and presentations to stakeholders on findings, analysis methods and recommended strategies for watershed management.
- Developed and maintained California’s most extensive GIS of Arundo donax (Giant Reed) and riparian habitat data.
- Grew the scope of services offered by the Ecological Services Division to include community capacity building, data sharing and technology transfer to regional partners. Hired and trained GIS staff to identify conservation opportunities including property acquisition for conservation easements, water quality monitoring and habitat restoration.
- Designed and built web-based tools to enable NOAA, California Dept. of Fish & Game and public watershed groups to monitor and assess salmon habitat data. Trained natural resource managers in how to use the site as a tool to support the environmental decision making process.
- Designed and built a mobile mapping application to record field observations while conducting low-level aerial flights.
Presidio Graduate School, San Francisco, CA
MBA in Sustainable Business Management, December 2010
Clark University, Worcester, MA
MA in International Development, May 2000
James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
BS in Geographic Information Sciences, December 1997
|Salesforce||Social Media Marketing||Adobe CS|
|Omniture||Search Engine Optimization/Marketing||MS Office|
|Google Analytics||Email Marketing||WebEx & GoToMeeting|
|Google AdWords||Blogging||HTML, CSS, XML, PHP|
Net Impact, Gamma Theta Upsilon (International Geographic Honors Society), American Marketing Association, Society for Conservation GIS, EDF, NRDC